Saturday, September 15, 2012

Cup of Coffee for my Asthmatic Child

This morning I woke up to find that my six year old boy had gotten the coffee ready for us (him and me). He didn't fly solo though, he took instructions from his dad and followed them to a T. He measured and poured the water, scooped four tablespoons of grounds into the fresh filter and had it all ready so all I had to do was flip the switch when I came downstairs. My sweet boy hadn't done that yet because he wanted to wait for me. 

He started drinking coffee around age two. Calm yourself... It is only half a cup, once a day and has hazelnut or french vanilla liquid creamer added to it. How it all started, you ask? One morning way back when, he wanted a sip of what his mommy was drinking. I gave him some and he wanted more. While most people would have said "NO," I said "sure!" 

I had heard that coffee can be beneficial to anyone with asthma and that children under the age of twelve can experience an opposite effect to caffeine and Benadryl. How caffeine effects him is hard to say. I wouldn't say he is any more wild because of it. On the other hand, we have noticed that when we've given him Benadryl, which knocks me out cold, he becomes absurdly hyper. But that's a topic for another time. Anyway, you can see I had given the caffeine and coffee quite a bit of thought before he ever asked and I agreed. 

I did some further research on caffeine before I let coffee become our little ritual and as it turns out, coffee is indeed good for the airways. It can never replace a prescribed maintenance medication but it can give a little extra help for the lungs, especially when asthmatic symptoms flare-up. LIVESTRONG had a good article describing the beneficial effects of caffeine on asthmatics.

Now, Calvin was diagnosed with asthma at the tiny age of five months old and he has earned the status of “SEVERE” asthma on his medical file. There is nothing regular about his case and never has been. I knew in the early stages of his infancy there was something not quite right about his breathing. He would grunt a lot, choked on milk at almost every feeding and he wouldn’t take a pacifier or his thumb. He slept best at an incline on my chest or in his vibrating seat. He was constantly getting colds that would turn into pneumonia, turning into hospitalizations. Getting a doctor to listen was next to impossible, that is until he almost died from a bad case of pneumonia. 

Being a parent to a child with asthma is more than hard. The fact that I found something to make it a tiny bit easier is magic. I share a cup of coffee with my boy almost every morning. It's our special time, our thing, just my baby boy and me. It smells good, tastes good, it's warm and helps him without being an expensive-toxic-chemically-enhanced pill, a cumbersome breathing machine, or inhaler. In fact our favorite place to go together, our happy place, is Caribou Coffee. This isn't normal, I am fully aware of that. I would never dream of giving my healthy daughter coffee. However, our life has never been nor will ever be "normal" when asthma is star of the show. 

Ultimately, Calvin loves coffee and I know it benefits his condition. I will gladly supplement my child’s asthma regiment with coffee any day than have to use the rescue meds more frequently. Some people shake their head at me but I shake my head back. To these people I say... you don't know me or my child, or what we’ve gone through. You haven’t been there when harsher forms of treatment are used. When I’ve had to watch every limb of my child’s body shake. When I’ve had to try and tame the wild beast on an ADHD+PMS like roller-coaster, who used to be my sweet child. When I’ve held him helplessly in my arms and felt his heart pounding so fast it seemed as if it were going to explode. Then dealing with the aftermath of using a systemic steroid, seeing how it weakens the immune system so for months out he is sick with illness after illness. 

What I have described are the side effects of using rescue meds like Albuterol and Orapred (systemic steroid). Yes I use them when I have to and I’m grateful for them, BUT only when they are absolutely necessary. If I can get away with managing his asthma on a low dose of Flovent (an inhaled steroid maintenance medication), a dose of Singulair and some coffee, well then, I consider us lucky. 

If you take anything away from this post, it should be... When you have an asthmatic child, giving them a small cup of flavored coffee is a treat, as well as a treatment. People argue that caffeine is harmful to children. I argue that the drugs, the steroids in particular are of much greater harm than a little caffeine could ever be. 


12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have a place for your words and thoughts. Remember to post a link on Facebook so I don't forget to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your stories Nicki. You're a great writer and I look forward to reading your blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute picture! I've thought of you lately. Started the Flovent last week. Any tips to make him do better with it? He's getting better day by day doing it and especially if we pretend to do it or his dog. and it's so much faster than the Nebs. - Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be using an aero chamber with the mask? That would a bit difficult at Cam's age but still doable. As long as the mask is sealed tightly around his face, he'll get most of the medicine, especially if he cries. Unfortunately we had to hold Calvin down at times and it would make him mad but because of that he'd breathe in deeper. Once we switched from Pulmicort to Flovent, Calvin was remarkably better, so it is a great maintenance medication. In fact, when he starts to get a cold I'll increase his dose from two puffs twice a day to three puffs twice a day and he's been getting through most colds without using any Albuterol or Orapred, knock on wood. All this being said, Calvin will still occasionally fight us on his meds. He'll try messing around, but as he ages it's gotten less and less. However, you'll find that your boy is going to fight you more times than not, especially when they're ill. I used to demonstrate for Calvin and then give myself an M&M. Then he'd do it and even if he cried I'd still give him the M&M because he did the treatment. So, you pretending and his dog is a great idea, just find a small reward for him after he's done. Not being strapped to the neb machine is wonderful for so many reasons. I am happy to try and help you anytime you need, so don't be afraid to ask. I don't have all the answers but I can give you my empathy. It's not an easy task getting your child to take their meds and every child is different. Just keep trying :)

      Delete
  4. wow you sure seem strong THAT motivates me to not give up on life. I had a pretty rough childhood and sometimes it gets the best of me, reading your stories makes me laugh a lot and that is the best medicine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let giving up be an option. You're a lovely person, with a little man looking up to you now. You'll never be perfect and life will be more unfair than fair, so just be good enough and keep moving forward. So happy, I can make you laugh. It is the best kind of medicine!

      Delete
  5. I love how you say he's "EARNED" the status of severe. :) 5 years ago I prided myself on the status of a severe stutterer. I've been slacking lately, I haven't been stuttering as well as I used to. It seems there are many things that are the worst as a child, then grow to be something that you just live with. I hope things get better for him when he grows up too. Now I gotta stop at Caribou on my way home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think your stuttering was just you being funny, until I realized it was actually a problem. Sorry about that but at least you knew how to handle it well. You are such a funny and kind guy, you make stuttering seem cool. Yes, as he grows it should get better, it's just hard for any mom to see her child struggling. I don't think a mother can ever get over that. However, like you, Calvin has a great sense of humor and that will get you through anything. Also, I would go to Caribou Coffee every day if I could. Maybe I should work there :)

      Delete
  6. Just came across your post, my son (Calvin - who is also JUST like the comic strip) also suffers from severe asthma. I heard about giving coffee to asthmatics over the weekend and after reading your post, i'm going to give it a try. Nothing could be worse than the chemicals they consume already! Thanks for the post, its just what I need to read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for saying so :) I can't believe you have a Calvin and he to suffers from the monstrous asthma. Wow! I really hope the coffee helps a little, we sweeten ours up with flavored creamers and whipped cream on the top. A bit much but it makes it tasty and special. Good luck! I really appreciate your nice comment. Best wishes to you and your Calvin :)

      Delete